Monday, July 21, 2014

Napoleonic Game Design Update



What was once a board game is slowly turning into a set of table top miniatures rules. Yea, i know... I close my eyes and see infantry, cavalry, artillery.  As the days go by, I wonder if this project will ever see the finish line.  After compiling 30 pages of still incomplete handwritten rules and turning 24 of those 30 into typewritten pages, after changing the entire physiognomy of the game, after inundating myself with countless comparisons to other rules systems, after spending countless nights counting napoleonic sheep,  it's become rather easy to lose sight of the whole endeavor. There is still plenty of playtesting to do, rules to tweak, changes to implement, problems to solve, decisions to make...  Not to sound self referential but more and more, I've come to realize one fundamental truth about myself, i freely invite misery.  The only difference here being, paradoxically, it is from this very misery that i'm able to mine happiness.  I wonder if Napoleon would have been able to simulate his own career with blocks and rules and dice and charts and tables and...ok, breathe...

No comments:

Post a Comment